Number in words is a topic learnt by a student in its early age or preschool. After learning how to identify a number and pronounce it, a kid learns how to write a number in words. The first set of numbers a kid learns to write in words is 1 to 10. This is how it looks:
- 1 – One
- 2 – Two
- 3 – Three
- 4 – Four
- 5 – Five
- 6 – Six
- 7 – Seven
- 8 – Eight
- 9 – Nine
- 10 – Ten
They keep learning the rest of the number series in the next grades. This is a very important topic in Mathematics as numbers are used in our daily life for various purposes. It starts from zero to ten to hundred to thousand and so on.
The next important step to learn how to write numbers in words is to learn place values like ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, and so on. For example to write 13450 in words, we will use the place values of ten thousand, thousand, hundred, tens and ones. It will be written as thirteen thousand four hundred and fifty. The last number name is written according to the Indian place value. It is written according to its position in the table.
There’s another way to write the number names known as the international place value system.
Steps to Write Number Names
Let’s learn how to write number names according to place value. We will use the Indian place value system to write these numbers. Let’s write the first common number names from 0 to 10.
- Place value of One – Zero, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine
- Place value of tens – If 1 is in place value of ten, it becomes ten, 2 in the place value of 10 becomes twenty, and so on.
- Number names from eleven and above till ninety nine come in the place value of tens.
- Number names above hundred till nine hundred ninety nine have a place value of 100. Example: One hundred and one, one hundred and two, one hundred and three, one hundred and four and so on.
Learning Numbers in Words is Important
Writing, reading and speaking are all important for a human being to express themselves and numbers play the most crucial roles in our daily life.
- Numbers in words are written on cheques which helps the banker to make the money transaction in the mentioned amount.
- Numbers in words reflecting on the building of your society shows the address of your flat.
- You write your age in numbers.
- It helps in analysing and interpreting the mathematical figures. These skills are required to evaluate the data in numerical forms to reach the conclusion.
Most Common Numbers in Words
Here’s a list of numbers which we use more frequently and how to learn it.
- Ten, Twenty, Thirty, Forty and so on.
- Learning to write these numbers first will help to learn how to write the consequent ones. Example if you learn to write 20 – twenty, writing the following sequence of 21 – 29 will become easier.
- Similarly writing 13 to 19 is also easy if you know how to write 1 to 9. Example – 14 can be written as four + teen = fourteen.
- This is also known as the extension of base numbers mentioned in step 1.
Learn Basic Maths from Cuemath Website
Cuemath is the best live tutoring platform that teaches mathematical concepts to kids in an amazing way. Mathematics is a subject that can’t be crammed and needs to be understood in an easy way. Keeping this in mind and adding fun elements to it to make it interesting, cuemath has started teaching these topics to provide better understanding of kids.
The diagrams, images, examples mentioned on cuemath website are easy to understand and are presented in a way that it doesn’t feel like a problem but more of a logical question which is interesting to solve. Cuemath is the best online math tutoring platform for laying strong mathematical foundations. If you want to learn about these concepts in-depth and in an interactive way, go to the Cuemath website.